Frequently asked questions
What is a production font?
Production fonts are fonts you can deploy for commercial purposes. You can deploy as many production fonts as your plan allows. The Create + Deploy plan comes with 10 production fonts as the standard; distribution limits apply.
Can I test and mock-up with Monotype Fonts without using production fonts?
Yes, you can test fonts in any environment and create as many mock-ups as you’d like, as long as they are not deployed commercially or publicly. You only need to use production fonts once you are deploying fonts for commercial purposes.
Can I use fonts from Monotype Fonts on my website?
Yes, you can use fonts on your live website if you have purchased monthly web page views as part of your plan. We offer monthly web page views as an add-on before or after purchasing your subscription plan. You cannot use more fonts on your website than what is covered by your production font allowance. The Create + Deploy plan comes with 10 production fonts as the standard; distribution limits apply. You must use the web hosting tools on Monotype Fonts, and may not self-host or use third-party hosting providers.
How can I purchase more add-ons for my subscription plan?
You can request additional add-ons before purchasing a plan by navigating to the add-ons section on the page of your desired subscription plan page. If you require add-ons after purchasing a plan, you can request them by navigating to our live chat under your account dropdown menu.
What do my desktop rights cover in the Create + Deploy plan?
You will only have desktop rights for the fonts that you select as production fonts. Desktop rights included in the Create + Deploy plan cover use for the following:
- Installing the font on your Mac OS X or Windows system
- Using the font within desktop applications such as Microsoft Word, Mac Pages, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, etc. (Any application that checks for installed fonts.)
- Creating and printing documents, as well as static images (.jpeg, .tiff, .png)
- Included in rights: company merchandise, flyers, poster, banners, signage, direct mail, brochures, catalogs, trade show displays, business cards, product packaging, fonts embedded into video content (view count limit is distribution amount)
- Not included in rights: VR/AR (2D and 3D environments), desktop apps, IOS apps, hardware (not in or embedded font software in printers, appliances, kiosks, set-top boxes, tablets, smart phones, in-store displays etc.), commercial electronic documents, video games
Monotype Fonts subscription plans have distribution limits for these rights. The standard plan includes 5,000 units, with options to purchase more as add-ons. All the items under “included” can be deployed up to 5,000 units each (e.g., printing 5,000 brochures, 5,000 flyers, 5,000 units of product packaging). If you’re unsure about your licensing rights, feel free to ask us any questions through our live chat.
Can I download font files?
Create + Pitch and Create + Deploy plans do not allow font file downloads. However, do not worry, this does not impact how you work with fonts in your applications as Monotype Fonts allows you to sync fonts directly to your machine. Fonts that are synced through Monotype Fonts will be visible on any application that reads your local/system font files, meaning you are free to create with any font you have synced.
What fonts are available on Monotype Fonts?
We are continuously adding new fonts and foundries to the Monotype Fonts Library. Click here to search our library for available fonts.